IMU 6DOF - ICM20608 Invensense Breakout Board (Accelerometer + Gyroscope)
The ICM-20608-G is the latest 6-axis device offered by InvenSense for the mass market. Compared to previous 6-axis devices, the ICM-20608-G offers lower power consumption, lower noise, and a thinner package. The ICM-20608-G offers a duty-cycled operation mode for the gyroscope, that reduces gyroscope power consumption by half or more (depending on ODR) compared to earlier 6-axis devices. It also provides about 20% lower noise than previous devices, and about 17% thinner package compared to previous devices.
The ICM-20608-G is a 6-axis MotionTracking device that combines a 3-axis gyroscope, and a 3-axis accelerometer in a small, 3 mm x 3 mm x 0.75 mm (16-pin LGA) package. It also features a 512-byte FIFO that can lower the traffic on the serial bus interface, and reduce power consumption by allowing the system processor to burst read sensor data, entering into a low-power mode. The ICM-20608-G, with its 6-axis integration, enables manufacturers to eliminate the costly and complex selection, qualification, and system level integration of discrete devices, guaranteeing optimal motion performance for consumers.
The gyroscope has a programmable full-scale range of ±250, ±500, ±1000, and ±2000 degrees/sec. The accelerometer has a user-programmable accelerometer full-scale range of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g, and ±16g. Factory-calibrated initial sensitivity of both sensors reduces production line calibration requirements.
Other industry-leading features include on-chip 16-bit ADCs, programmable digital filters, an embedded temperature sensor, and programmable interrupts. The device features I2C and SPI serial interfaces, a VDD operating range of 1.71 V to 3.45 V, and a separate digital IO supply, VDDIO from 1.71 V to 3.45 V. Communication with all registers of the device is performed using either I2C at 400 kHz or SPI at 8 MHz.
By leveraging its patented and volume-proven CMOS-MEMS fabrication platform, which integrates MEMS wafers with companion CMOS electronics through wafer-level bonding, InvenSense has driven the package size down to a footprint and thickness of 3 mm x3 mm x 0.75 mm (16-pin LGA), to provide a very small, yet high-performance low cost package. The device provides high robustness by supporting 10,000g shock reliability.
The triple-axis MEMS gyroscope in the ICM-20608-G includes a wide range of features:
- Digital-output X-, Y-, and Z-axis angular rate sensors (gyroscopes) with a user-programmable full-scale range of ±250, ±500,±1000, and ±2000°/sec and integrated 16-bit ADCs
- Digitally-programmable low-pass filter
- Factory calibrated sensitivity scale factor
The triple-axis MEMS accelerometer in ICM-20608-G includes a wide range of features:
- Digital-output X-, Y-, and Z-axis accelerometer with a programmable full scale range of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g and ±16g and integrated 16-bit ADCs
- User-programmable interrupts
- Wake-on-motion interrupt for low power operation of applications processor
The ICM-20608-G includes the following additional features:
- Smallest and thinnest LGA package for portable devices: 3x3x0.75mm (16-pin LGA)
- Minimal cross-axis sensitivity between the accelerometer and gyroscope axes
- 512 byte FIFO buffer enables the applications processor to read the data in bursts
- Digital-output temperature sensor
- User-programmable digital filters for gyroscope, accelerometer, and temp sensor
- 10,000 g shock tolerant
- 400kHz Fast Mode I2C for communicating with all registers
- MHz SPI serial interface for communicating with all registers
- MEMS structure hermetically sealed and bonded at wafer level
- RoHS and Green compliant